Two killed, three rescued in Anambra students’ hostel collapse

Date:

Two killed, three rescued in Anambra students’ hostel collapse

Two persons have been confirmed dead, while three others were rescued after a three-storey hostel building, known as Elite Five Star Lodge, collapsed in Amaokpala, near the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The building, which had about 60 rooms, caved in on Sunday night, throwing residents and passers-by into panic as an unknown number of occupants, mostly students, were trapped beneath the rubble for hours before emergency responders arrived.

Eyewitnesses said the building collapsed while occupants were inside.

One resident, Ifeoma, who witnessed the incident, told PUNCH Metro that a loud noise preceded the collapse.

“We heard a very loud noise before the building collapsed. The noise attracted many residents and students, who rushed to the area to see what had happened.

“Within moments after the loud noise, people started shouting for help as the building came crashing down,” she said.

Videos and photographs circulating online showed a large crowd gathered at the scene as rescue workers, security personnel and volunteers searched through the debris for trapped victims.

PUNCH Metro gathered that a joint rescue team comprising the Nigerian Red Cross Society, the National Emergency Management Agency, the Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, the Anambra State Fire Service, the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies arrived at the scene in the early hours of Monday and immediately commenced rescue operations.

Using heavy-duty excavators and other specialised equipment, emergency workers carefully removed debris in a coordinated effort to locate survivors while ensuring the safety of the rescue personnel.

The atmosphere remained tense as anxious residents, students and sympathisers watched the operation, while security operatives cordoned off the area to prevent interference and allow emergency responders unrestricted access.

As of 6:55 p.m., rescue workers recovered the body of another male victim, bringing the total number of fatalities to two.

The acting Executive Secretary of the Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, Ndidi Omega, confirmed the recovery of the female victim’s body and said three injured persons had earlier been rescued and taken to hospital.

She said, “One female body was recovered, while three persons were rescued and taken to the hospital. The rescue operation will continue until every section of the debris has been thoroughly searched.”

The Head of Media and Publicity of the Anambra State Fire Service, Chukwudi Chiketa, also confirmed the development.

“Upon arrival at the scene, fire service personnel immediately commenced search and rescue operations in collaboration with other emergency responders.

“Regrettably, one female victim was recovered from the rubble. She was confirmed dead at the scene, and her body was evacuated and handed over to the appropriate authorities for deposition in a morgue.

“Search and rescue operations are still ongoing to determine whether any other persons remain trapped beneath the debris.

“The cause of the building collapse was yet to be determined and remains under investigation,” Chiketa said.

He urged members of the public to stay away from the area to enable emergency officers to carry out their duties safely.

However, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, has appealed for calm, saying officers had secured the scene immediately after receiving the distress call.

“On receipt of the distress report, the police, in collaboration with other security agencies, immediately mobilised to the scene, secured the area to prevent further danger and coordinated rescue efforts,” Ikenga said.

He added that rescue operations were ongoing to determine whether more victims remained trapped, noting that the total number of casualties could not yet be confirmed.

“Some injured victims have been rescued from the debris and taken to a hospital in Oko, where they are receiving treatment.

“Residents are advised to remain calm, avoid spreading unverified information and stay away from the scene to allow emergency responders unrestricted access,” he added.

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency has sealed off the premises of the collapsed building.

A NEMA official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the action was necessary to facilitate uninterrupted rescue operations and enable investigators to determine the cause of the collapse.

“The building has been sealed with red tape and barricaded to restrict movement around the premises. Before now, some students and residents were loitering around the site, thereby distracting rescue workers,” the official said.

Ikenna Obianeri

Ikenna Obianeri is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over 10 years of experience in reporting and storytelling. He conducts incisive interviews, covers crime and environmental issues, and produces engaging feature stories tailored for digital audiences. Ikenna’s work reflects strong newsroom experience, editorial insight, and a commitment to impactful, audience-focused journalism

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

PHOTOS: Ballots, faces, other moments from #OsunDecides2026

Through these photographs, DevReporting presents a visual account of #OsunDecides2026.

Nollywood actor, Ogogo diagnosed with cancer, children solicit help [VIDEO]

Veteran Nigerian actor, Taiwo Hassan, famously known as Ogogo, has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. In a viral video on Instagram, Monday night,

Done Deal: Nigerian Defender Completes Loan Move To Villarreal

Chukwuma Eze has completed a season-long loan move to Spanish club Villarreal from Real Oviedo, Completesports.com reports.

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

Before Monday's announcement by the NFF, Justine Madugu had apologised to Nigerians, accepting responsibility for the disappointing results in Morocco. The post NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure appeared first on Premium Times Nigeria.