Ndume urges military to intensify efforts to rescue Borno abductees

Date:

Ndume urges military to intensify efforts to rescue Borno abductees

The Senator representing Borno South, Mohammed Ndume, has called on the Nigerian military to intensify efforts towards the rescue of school children and travellers abducted from communities across Southern part of the state, saying they have stayed for over 100 days in captivity.

The request, according to a post on the Senator’s official Facebook page on Thursday, covers schoolchildren abducted from Mussa and Lassa communities, Askira Uba local government area, passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe in Gwoza local government area of the state.

Ndume, who made the appeal during a visit to the Headquarters of the Theatre Command, Northeast Joint Taskforce Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri on Wednesday, commended the Nigerian military for its sustained efforts in combating insurgency, but insisted that the school children and other victims have stayed too long away from their families.

He said, “Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe.

“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort.”

He noted that some of the victims have now spent more than 100 days away from their families, creating deep anxiety among relatives and communities.

He, however, said that the appeal should not be interpreted as a failure to recognise the sacrifices and efforts of the military, but rather as a reflection of the responsibility of a representative to continue speaking for his people and demanding action where necessary.

“Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” he said.

He commended the military coordination and synergy among the security agencies, describing it as a major factor behind the gains recorded in the fight against insurgency.

Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abubakar Abdulsalam, thanked the Senator for the visit and assured him that the concerns raised over the abducted victims had been noted.

The commander reiterated the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and ensuring the safe return of residents displaced by years of insurgency.

He attributed the successes being recorded in the theatre to the support of the Chief of Army Staff, whom he said has a deep understanding of the operational environment in the North-East.

The PUNCH had reported that 42 pupils were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School in Mussa on May 15 following an attack by suspected insurgents.

Similarly, on June 29, suspected insurgents attacked Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, abducting 36 students and one teacher.

The two incidents brought the reported number of abducted students to 78.

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

How a 4.97 CGPA earned LASU graduate ₦30m in two cash awards

Adebanjo Oluolamide emerged as LASU’s best graduating student with a 4.97 CGPA. Within two days, his academic feat earned him ₦30 million in cash awards.

Brymo accuses 2Face, Burna Boy, Davido of knowing about alleged cult recruitment [VIDEO]

Singer Brymo has accused his colleagues, 2Face, Burna Boy and Davido, of knowing about how he was lured to join a secret cult. Brymo made the allegation

Lampard Backs Awoniyi To Shine At Coventry City

Coventry City manager Frank Lampard is backing new signing Taiwo Awoniyi to make a big impact at the club, Completesports.com reports.

Christantus Uche undergoes successful surgery after serious knee Injury

The Nigerian international confirmed on Wednesday that he had completed the procedure and shared a photograph of himself as he began what is expected to be a lengthy rehabilitation process The post Christantus Uche undergoes successful surgery after serious knee Injury appeared first on Premium…