Osun poll: 295 suspects arrested – Police
The police arrested 295 suspects in connection with various incidents recorded during the Osun State governorship election held on Saturday.
The police disclosed that 293 of the suspects had been released on bail following screening, while two others remained in custody for further investigation and prosecution.
The development came as security agencies intensified surveillance and enforcement during the election to prevent violence, vote-buying and other electoral offences.
Speaking in an interview with The PUNCH, Force spokesman, Ani Iniedu, said two suspects remained in custody and would be subjected to further investigation before being prosecuted for the offences established against them.
He said, “295 suspects were arrested during the election, and 293 have been released on bail after screening. So we have two of them in custody for prosecution,” he said.
The arrests were part of the security measures deployed across the state to ensure a peaceful and credible conduct of the election.
The police had earlier warned political actors, their supporters and other stakeholders against acts capable of undermining the electoral process, stressing that anyone found violating the law would be arrested and made to face prosecution.
On its part, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps said it made no arrests.
According to its spokesman, Afolabi Babawale, comprehensive security structures were established across local government areas and wards to deter troublemakers and respond rapidly to emerging threats.
He said the Corps deployed a multi-layered security architecture comprising both armed and unarmed personnel to safeguard polling units and electoral materials.
“Three fully armed patrol teams, equipped with Hilux vehicles, were stationed in every local government area to maintain a visible deterrent and respond to major incidents.
“Also, three unarmed personnel were directly deployed to every polling centre to maintain order and monitor activities on-site.
“Two armed personnel were positioned 500 metres away from each polling centre, bringing the total deployment to five officers assigned to cover each polling unit,” he said.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!
Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.
Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

